CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, May 18, 2009

In Remembrance...

My dad's only brother, Kevin, was killed in a tragic work-related accident in 1984. It was a life-changing event for our entire family. I was only seven years of age, but still remember it vividly.

My Uncle Kevin was at the tender young age of 31. He had a beautiful bride, Michelle, and was the father to two children (Mitchell who was one and Rachel who was still in the womb). He was working for the power company and had traveled to the Oneida Hydroelectric Plant outside of Preston, Idaho, to perform some maintenance.

The plant is powered by the water of the Bear River and, as my uncle sat in the parking lot on December 4th (waiting for his boss to come out of the plant so they could travel home to Salt Lake City), a powerful underground water supply burst. My uncle, three other men, trucks, boulders and part of the power plant were washed miles downstream.

Needless to say, my Aunt Michelle was left in a horrible position with an infant in her arms and another child on the way (who later had health complications at birth). And, my Grandma Olive and my Dad were left alone, as my Grandpa Keith had passed away about 1 1/2 years earlier and, ever-so-quickly their family of four dwindled to two.


At Kevin and Michelle's wedding: Grandpa Keith, Aunt Michelle, Uncle Kevin, Grandma Ollie, Dad, Mom and Me (the flower girl!)

On Mother's Day this year, we took a family road trip to the Oneida Hydroelectric Power Plant where my uncle was killed. It was the most beautiful drive along the Bear River. And, the memorial site was so serene and peaceful with the sound of the flowing river and the sight of gorgeous, tree covered mountains.

It was a beautiful day of remembrance - one I don't think I'll forget anytime soon.

I have wonderful memories of riding to Wade Lake with Uncle Kevin and Aunt Michelle in their cherry red Jeep, singing all the way. I also remember Uncle Kevin putting way too much sugar on top of his Cheerios in the morning (I was sure his teeth would rot!). I miss my Grandpa Keith and my Uncle Kevin and only wish I could have spent more time with them on this earth. I am grateful to still have a loving relationship with my Aunt Michelle and my cousins Mitchell and Rachel.

Mother's Day of 2009 was a tender reminder to me of how precious the gift-of-life is and how quickly things can change. I vowed to myself that I would cherish each and every day.

4 comments:

courtnee

I could not agree with you more, life changes in an instance and your entire perspective is anew. I remeber that picture from you home and I vaguley remember the day of the accident, your parents and grandparents are super people and have shown many of us how to be and what family really means.

Hayden and Kelly

it makes me wish so badly that they were still here so we could get to know them and to make memories with them. i hold onto the promise that we will see them again. i can't wait to hug them, kiss them on the cheek, and spend eternity with them... i love you. don't you ever leave me!

Nick and Stacey

That is crazy, its seriously things like that that make you realize how precious life is! What a wonderful memorial for your family!

Bassett family

Kristin, thanks for the memories and the awesome tribute to your family. I so-o remember the accident even though we didn't know your family then. These workers had just left the plant we were working at - Paris Hydro Plant - and went to where they were killed. Thanks for the reminder of how fragile life is and how quickly time flies. My little girl then - is now a little older than Kevin was. Awesome post! Sonja (Tara's mom)