We've been roughin' it...in the depths of the magnificent
Grand Canyon. The good news: we made it through some of the roughest and toughest rapids in North America and had a wonderful time. The not-so-good news: I need a massage, a pedicure, a facial, a trip to the hairdresser and, well, you get the picture. I know what you're thinking: SoMeOnE is high maintenance. But, I beg to differ. This is a vacation unlike any other. It's roughin' it - to a new extreme.
There were no phone calls to our families, no primping and make-up, no showers (although you could submerge yourself in the FrEeZiNg cold river - sure to give anyone an ice cream headache and you're left with a fine, sandy residue), no bathrooms (only what Tan and Ty refer to the "GrOoVeR" set-up in the evenings at camp), and a new campsite every night (I'm a PRO at setting up our tent, blowing up our air mattresses and rolling out the sleeping bags - after all, we did it eight times or so).
Sounds tough, right? These are small sacrifices for a indescribable vacation to a place most people will never see in their lifetime.

It was a private, rather than commercial, trip. So, the really fun thing was that it was all friends and family. Here's the crew (starting at the bottom left): Karie and Tyler (Tanner's youngest bro), Sanford and Michelle (our fabulous neighbors and friends), Shannon and Darlene (family friends from way-back-when), and Merrilyn (Tan's mom). The next row: Paul and Shelley (Karie's cousins), me and Tan, James (Terran's best pal), Ben (Tan's dad) and Rex (Troy's dad-in-law). Back row: Terran (Tan's 2nd oldest bro) and Troy (the oldest and wisest bro).

Tan and I celebrated our 9-year anniversary while we were on the river. It was an anniversary I'll never forget. I know, I know, you all want some of that FINE rain gear I'm wearing and one of those HOT life jackets. The rain gear and life jackets are lifesavers in the Grand - the water is freezing cold and the rapids are so gigantic that you're likely to take a swim.

This was our boat: a monstrous S-Rig which carried all 16 of us safely down the canyon.

We hiked up the most beautiful side canyons. This is the Little Colorado where one can be found with their life jacket fitted like a diaper, floating down miniature rapids. Our fave was the train method with Sanford in the lead.

At the end of many hikes, we'd discover amazing waterfalls.

Some hikes were higher than others - definitely not for the faint-of-heart.

We relaxed - oh, did we relax! No lounge chairs necessary - we'd take what we could get for some much-needed R&R.

Our friends, Sanford and Michelle, were such good sports. Seriously, they really didn't know what they were getting themselves into when they committed to go. This was Tanner's 78th trip down the Grand (he ran as a River Guide for a commercial outfitter for many, many years) and it was my 5th trip, so we knew what to expect. Our friends, on the other hand, had never traveled the depths of the Grand, but they did it effortlessly - like pros!

Hiking, hiking, hiking. With a life jacket on? There were great jumping spots at the end of our hike up Havasu and, well, I like a little added floating protection when jumping into the icy river.

Aren't Sanford and Michelle the cutest? Honestly, we got so many great pictures of them. In all, we took over 500 pictures. So, today's picture overload is only a very small glimpse of our journey.

And, well, this is the drive home. Diann, this pic's for you, babe. I think you'll understand - LOUD and CLEAR! Mind you, this is Tanner's already-been-used deodorant with no lid (which Sanford and Michelle were not afraid to stick right up to their noses).
It was honestly the trip of a lifetime. You can't compare it to any other vacation. But, I'll tell you, I missed my girlies like crazy. I'm so happy to be at home with them again. Oh, and, sleeping in my own bed last night, was HEAVEN!
12 comments:
W.O.W. What an adventure! You go get yourself some of that pampering... nobody would dare call you high maintenance if you have the courage and capability to do all of that!
Glad you had a great time!
You guys are crazy. I bet it was sooo much fun though. Glad you had fun and everyone made it home safe. So much for baseball last night?? Funny... we weren't even there at the right time. I realized after the fact that Brev's game was at five. CRAP!! O-well he thinks his game was rained out.
Glad to hear you guys had a good time and made it back safely. You are a brave, brave woman!!! I would love to see more pics.
I can't even begin to tell you how jealous I am!!!!! Glad you made it back in one piece :)
Looks like quite the adventure and a lot of fun. I love the pic of Sanford with the shirt off!!!
You're much more adventurous that I am! Looks like you all had a blast! You deserve a spa day. If you think YOU'RE high maintenance...I told Bruce I was taking one just because he is gone for a week to Florida. I haven't been down any rapids or roughed it in any way whatsoever, unless you count being a single mom for a week "roughing it" ;)
i'm so glad you're back! i missed you like crazy!
Sounds like a great trip! You're one tough woman, I don't know how I'd handle using a groover. I like my bathrooms stationary. (you probably do to, but when you gotta go, you gotta go.)
I bet the views were amazing and breathtaking.
That sounds like a trip my family would take... my dad loves trips like this despite everyone elses groans! That looks like it was all worth it and I'm sure a memorable experience! Glad you made it back safe!!!
You were definitely roughing it!! I don't know if I could be so brave!! Come to the spa and get pampered!! :)
That seriously is awesome, looks like fun! And alot of work, but being able to get a river view of the grand canyon awesome!
Post a Comment